Drinking Alcohol taught me how to fly
Then it took away the sky....

Sunday, March 25, 2012

NO STRINGS







 RATHER 
HAVE  OATS





Don't let that horse
eat that violin
cried Chagall's mother
But he
                        kept right on
                                                 painting

And became famous

And kept on painting
                                       The Horse With Violin In Mouth

And when he finally finished it
he jumped up upon the horse
                                                     and rode away
                  waving the violin

And then with a low bow gave it
to the first naked nude he ran across

And there were no strings
                                                 attached


Published for Dverse
Pictures and Poems

"14" by Lawrence Ferlinghetti,
from A Coney Island of the Mind.
© New Directions Publishing, 1958

IMAGE:
Eye of the Violin
by Chris Sorbera
in DeviantArt




15 comments:

  1. I love poems about art and I think this is just plain fun to think about it as Chagall crosses the boundaries between reality and imagination. Chagall is a favorite of mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...love the last line...smiles...i need to get me a violin sir...and then make art and then...well just use your imagination....great piece sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very surreal...I can picture this from your words. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Chagall. How we love his world view, so magical so fantastical. You capture it here - horses, nudes, and violins oh my. You might enjoy my take on Chagall and cows here:
    http://hollyheir.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/luminous-cows
    Enjoyed this a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I have a biographyof Chaggal. He does have a lot of cows and roosters playing the violin. I meant to ask you, why do you string some of your words?

    ReplyDelete
  6. there's supposed to be a smile in there ;)xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must admit I had to go and find out who Marc Chagall was...
    We ignore so many things...

    Hey- hello peep dear!!!
    I love your last few collection of posts here. but will comment on this one only, for I know you won't scroll down to read what i did before this...
    IS your Stradivarius with no strings? ha ha!!! This sounds awful in my ears... i meant are you Ok?

    great write-and read.
    grin!

    love
    D.
    xoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed witty and very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha Ha! So funny! I giggled til it hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy, I love this image! He, riding away upon his painted horse, waving the violin. What adventures we could have if we could paint our dreams and make them spring to life. Brave, Maestro!

    ReplyDelete